Monday, April 26, 2010

Road Trip

Halfway between here and Chicago where the
tree branches blend seamlessly
with night
and I can’t tell if my
eyes are open or closed.
A gas station is open.
The fluorescent lights slice black
sky with ragged edges, blocking
the stars and illuminating what should have
been left in shadows.

It’s harsh but I’m hungry.

Sickly light washes over aisles
of expired chips and useless trinkets; only one
bottle of Coke left.
I’m at the counter and she smiles.
Just yellow teeth and red
lipstick, mouth parts slyly. “Do you feel lucky?”
Outside all I can see is
the flicker of someone’s cigarette and the curling
smoke that climbs
above these lights

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful disturbing images. It's that eerie feeing that comes with having to stop in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. God knows I've been to that same gas station. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. The imagery is so clear and eerily familiar, especially because we just drove that road yesterday. I am posting a picture I took along the way. I absolutely love these lines:
    I’m at the counter and she smiles.
    Just yellow teeth and red
    lipstick, mouth parts slyly. “Do you feel lucky?”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it all seems very familiar! It reminds me of being a child and riding in the backseat way past my bedtime. I really love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Pancho, I feel as if I've been to this ridiculous world/gas station-only it was at 4am somewhere between Dallas and Houston. But yellow teeth and red lipstick, how awesome is that! Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete